The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. – Pablo Picasso
By now you’ve probably heard or seen about the lastest trend of adult coloring books. In my opinion they are here to stay! If you’ve tried them out for yourself, I’m here to fill you in on why you should keep coloring and the benefits of coloring… If you’ve never colored as an adult I’m about to convince you to make your life real colorful! According to research done by psychologists, coloring is a stress-free activity that helps relax the amygdala. The amygdala is the fear center of the brain which controls our emotions & stress. When you are coloring you’re allowing your mind to get the rest it needs. Coloring is so much fun and it helps you to de-stress!? Why did we ever stop!? I’ve been unwinding lately by sitting down with my coloring pencils, sometimes with cup of tea, and coloring for hours! I find it to be so relaxing.. Here’s why I think you should try it….
- Research and Really Important People Said You Should… One of my favorite psychologists, Carl Jung, gave his clients mandalas to color as part of their therapy. Mandalas are circular designs that reflect wholeness. Carl Jung once said that “a mandala is a psychological expression of the totality of the self”… WHAT? You ask. Well without getting too into psychological discussion, there are unique qualities about circles that makes them calming and also signify wholeness.
- It Reduces Stress and Anxiety…. Coloring takes your mind off off your problems and allows you to focus on a task that requires concentration. If you are feeling super stressed and un-easy, find your self a quiet spot, well-lit & comfortable, and spend time coloring. You’ll find that focusing on coloring will help to ease your stress, because you are making time for an activity that requires you to slow down. Many think it’s because coloring takes us back to the simpler times of our childhood, maybe so, through my own experience I’ve found it to be a great time for me to clear my mind.
- You could stop staying up late on your phone… Many of us spend our before bed time on our phones or laptops. Some even fall asleep to the TV. THIS IS BAD PEOPLE. Yeah, I do it too but I’m trying to stop! Coloring is a great way to wind-down before laying in bed. Studies/Research/A lot of people say, (and I’m sure you’ve heard…) exposure to the light emitted from electronics disrupts your circadian rhythm and contributes to insomnia! I am so guilty of staying up late and using electronics! I’ve come to learn that using electronics at night reduce your levels of the sleep hormone melatonin. If you’re having trouble sleeping, opt for coloring rather than TV or social media browsing before bed!
- Strengthens Your Fine Motor Skills and Vision… When you’re coloring the two hemispheres of your brain are communicating, this activity itself improves your fine motor skills and vision. Much like crosswords, coloring books are therapeutic and may delay or prevent the onset of dementia because you are incorporating the areas of the cerebral cortex involved in your vision and fine motor skills.
- You Can Be You… It’s easy to get wrapped up in our roles and everyday lives. Coloring allows you to be YOU. A chance to reconnect with your creativity and the youth still inside of you! When you’re coloring you are not a employee, parent, sibling, student, spouse… You are just you. It’s your coloring book to draw in or outside the lines in. You want to color a dog – green, or a flower – black, that’s all you, who says you can’t!?
I can go on and on about why you should start coloring, but I think you get it! It’s not only good for your mind, body and soul, it’s FUN! Below I’ve linked a bunch of adult coloring books! Make time for your self. Self-Care is vital to our overall being and wellness. Wishing you many happy days and nights of coloring!